This six book series was designed to be similar to the books
of the first Rollo series except more for girls than for boys.
Apparently the stories were not as popular as the Rollo books since
only six books were published. The tales are quite simple as Rollo's
cousin Lucy and her brother Royal survive the mid-nineteenth century.
The first four books were all copyrighted by T. H. Carter in 1841. Books #5 and #6 were copyrighted in 1842 by B. B. Mussey. All six books were first published in book form in 1842 by B. B. Mussey, a Boston publisher. Initially the first three books were published as a set. Later in 1842 the last three books completed the series.
Note that initially the author is listed as "By the Author of the Rollo Books" as opposed to Jacob Abbott. Starting in 1850 with the Derby and Miller published books, Abbott was printed on the spine although he was still not listed on the title page.
The books: (all first published in 1842)
- Cousin Lucy at Study
- Stories Told to Rollo's Cousin Lucy
- Cousin Lucy's Conversations
- Cousin Lucy at Play
- Cousin Lucy on the Sea-Shore
- Cousin Lucy Among the Mountains
As with many of Abbott's series, the books were published by a number of publishers.
- B.B. Mussey, Boston(1842-1845). This publisher printed all of the first editions
- Thomas H. Webb and Company, Boston (ca.1843)
- Gates, Stedman and Company, New York (1848-1849)
- Derby and Miller, Auburn, New York (1850)
- Clark, Austin and Company, New York (1852)
- Clark, Austin and Smith, New York (1853-1859)
- Clark, Austin, Maynard and Company, New York (1860-1862)
- Clark and Maynard, New York (1863-1866)
- Thomas Y. Crowell, New York (1880's)
The various publishers' formats are pictured below.
Thomas H. Webb and Company, Boston ca.1843
Thomas Webb published the primary series under the "sanction
of the Board of Education of the State of Massachusetts". This series
included all fourteen of the Rollo books as well as all six of the
Cousin Lucy books.
The exact date of the Primary Series publication is unclear (probably 1843). The books are 6.25 x 4.25.
Gates, Stedman and Company, New York 1848-1849
1849 - Earlier
1849 - Later
1849 - Variant
Combination Book (1849)
In 1849 Gates, Stedman and Company published books with two
Lucy stories. Here is an example of a book that contained both Lucy's
Conversations and Lucy's Stories. Interestingly this book names Jacob
Abbott as the author on the title page. This is the only book that
notes Abbott as the author with the exception of the Crowell published
books (in the 1880's).
I suspect that the other four Lucy books were also published as combination books in 1849 but I am not certain.
Combination Book (1849)